Monday 13 December 2010

Please, for the love of God, do not sign Adrian Beltre!

A strike ... at the Beltre
My heart sank this morning when I read a report that the Texas Rangers are "moving aggressively" on free agent third baseman Adrian Beltre.

Nothing could be worse news than that outside of a terrorist strike or the death of John Oates.

If the Rangers spend seven years and $150 million on Cliff Lee, I'll recover.

If they spend a dime and two days on Beltre, I might not.

What I don't understand is why teams don't see what I and every other baseball fan in the world sees.

ADRIAN BELTRE IS A CONTRACT-YEAR PLAYER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What don't teams understand. Look at the stats. It's as clear as the nose on your face!

Beltre's contract years:

2004
104 runs - 200 hits - 32 2B - 48 HR - 121 RBI - .334 avg. - 1.017 OPS

2010
84 runs - 189 hits - 49 2B - 28 HR - 102 RBI - .321 avg. - .919 OPS

Career Averages
70 runs - 145 hits - 30 2B - 21 HR - 77 RBI - .275 avg. - .791 OPS

What could be more clear? That the sky is blue? That water is wet?

Beltre is the classic and insanely maddening case of a player with an immense amount of talent that could give a shit about his career except when he's about to get paid.

I wouldn't have him on my team for free. Give me Mike Young's aged and inferior effort at third base and Vlad Guerrero's crazy baserunning at designated hitter over Beltre as a peanut vendor.