Saturday 29 January 2011

NFL Predictions, Phase II

Keep the player, trash the uniform
I don't make predictions and run away from them as soon as they go bad. I, instead, face up to my frailties and hope to use these disappointments to become a better unpaid, slightly dorky sports blogger.

Accountability!

Predicted Record
Actual Record

NFC West
San Francisco 49ers -- 11-5 --
6-10
I nearly did something as remarkable is picking this division perfectly. I almost did the total opposite. Had I swapped the bottom two, I would have picked the last-place team first and vice versa. You heard it here: The 49ers are a decent coach and decent quarterback from winning this division every year.

Arizona Cardinals -- 8-8 -- 5-11
I don't know why I undervalued Kurt Warner's departure.

Seattle Seahawks -- 6-10 -- 7-9
They were worse than bad. They were boring.

St. Louis Rams -- 4-12 -- 7-9
It was not always pretty and it was done with a ton of injuries and a bunch of no-names, but they won. Won in a bad division. If this division ever wakes up, the Rams could be leading the charge or left behind.

NFC South
New Orleans Saints -- 13-3 --
11-5
The 2009-10 Saints got lucky for 19 weeks. No doubt they were good. But even better, they were lucky. They got huge turnovers in huge games and it paid dividends. Those turnovers didn't come around, they played from behind and Drew Brees was not nearly as effective.

Atlanta Falcons -- 9-7 -- 13-3
Still need defense. Still need an edge.

Carolina Panthers -- 8-8 -- 2-14
Like Cardinals, I somehow forgot who the quarterback was. The quarterback is a baseline for predicting. Start there and go down the line.

Tampa Bay Buccaneers -- 4-12 -- 10-6
"Is there a professional coach that looks more out of place and overwhelmed than Raheem Morris?" Well. I'm an idiot.

NFC North
Green Bay Packers -- 11-5 -- 10-6
"I think Aaron Rodgers is in 'fuck you' mode." Nailed it. That dude was on a mission all season. He carried that ragamuffin band all year.

Minnesota Vikings -- 9-7 -- 6-10
I kind of think Brett Favre's histrionics completely threw them off. Not having Sydney Rice killed them, too.

Chicago Bears -- 6-10 -- 11-5
It's no mistake that the Bears won as Matt Forte got fed the ball all year. It helps staying healthy on defense, too.

Detroit Lions -- 4-12 -- 6-10
An extremely fascinating team. Deserves seven wins. If they stay healthy, I think they get eight.

NFC East
Philadelphia Eagles -- 10-6 --
10-6
I got it right. Just with the wrong quarterback.

Washington Redskins -- 10-6 -- 6-10
D-I-S-A-S-T-E-R.

Dallas Cowboys -- 9-7 -- 6-10
I thought they were ordinary. For half a season, they were plain bad.

New York Giants -- 6-10 -- 10-6
I will never underestimate Tom Coughlin or his teams again.