Sunday 23 January 2011

Always follow your heart

Looks like someone pleased the Beard Gods
This morning, I gave my feeble thoughts on the Conference Championship games noting that with my predictions I was following my gut feelings on both games.

I had Pittsburgh and Green Bay both winning and covering the line. Both did.

My reasoning was that both teams had A) the superior quarterback; and B) the superior defense. If one team has both in any given contest, you got to go with them.

Green Bay 21, Chicago 14
The Bears probably weren't winning anyway, but they sure as hell weren't winning with the third-string quarterback. I don't know what to say about Jay Cutler. I like him as a quarterback. Unfortunately, he might be the biggest turdburger in professional sports. If it turns out his knee is badly injured, then he has an excuse. But he looked about as interested as being at that game as a pimp at church. And if he was seriously hurt, why don't you have him in the lockerroom getting treatments and stuff? Why was he standing up? I don't know. There is no tomorrow, and they're field general spent it on the sidelines in a big coat.

On the other side, we totally underestimated the Green Bay Packers for the last 19 weeks. Not that they helped things, but that defense is about as good as it gets.

Pittsburgh 24, New York 19
Again, you go with defense and the quarterback. The D absolutely stole the show in the first half. Then, Ben Roethlisberger does it again: Third down with a couple minutes left and you need five yards. He hits Antonio Brown. Game. The J-E-T-S go home. Roethlisberger makes big plays. The Jets didn't. Also, I thought pundits discounted Rashard Mendenhall and the Steelers run game too much. I thought they'd get room to run. They did. Mendenhall set up countless third-and-shorts and blistered the time of possession. The final score looks close, but we all know who the better team was.

Two weeks. In Dallas. Pittsburgh and Green Bay. Sounds juicy.