Monday 10 January 2011

Quite the wild cards

Giving a Stark
If you don't enjoy the NFL playoffs, then I might surmise you are A) dead. B) a vegetable or C) an unrelenting doofus.

I go in with high expectations and by Sunday night I feel completely content and full, like after a holiday dinner.

Unfortunately, my predictions took a beating. 1-3. It was bad. But I'm just a dumb blogger. What would I know?

It's worth noting that underdogs went 3-1 and road teams went 2-2.

Seattle 41, New Orleans 36
I would like to think that a vast, vast majority of everyone missed on this one. We did not consider just how bad New Orleans' defense was. And I think we disregarded too wantonly how important having running backs was. Chris Ivory and Pierre Thomas out? It's hard to imagine New Orleans not winning by 11 considering they piled up almost 500 yards. However, only 77 came on the ground and sometimes you need a yard or two and they couldn't do it.

In general, I'm pleased New Orleans lost. The NFL has taken advantage of New Orleans, hurricane Katrina and that whole mess for too long and they're still using last year's Saints' Super Bowl win as a marketing ploy to engage the sympathetic viewer. It's hogwash! New Orleans could give a shit about that dumb team until they got good ... just like 98 percent of every city with a sports franchise. It has nothing to do with that dumb hurricane or FEMA or whatever as much as it does about Drew Brees, Sean Payton and Marques Colston being good at what they do. As if they are the only people that do stuff in their city of employment.

New York 17, Indianapolis 16
I want to admit something: Early last week, I was primed to pick the Jets over my only team I care for, the Colts. I seriously was. I promise. I thought that Peyton Manning didn't have enough around him. As good as Jacob Tamme and Blair White have been, they do not make up for Austin Collie and Dallas Clark.

I was right. Instead, I listened to everyone I read and heard, all of the experts, and I had my mind changed in hopes that Manning could single handedly win this game. Joe Addai being hurt and not getting 20 or so carries hurt. Reggie Wayne getting shut down killed them. The Colts were playing a field goal game and that's exactly what the Jets wanted. They knew if they could keep the Colts to field goals, they could win.

Baltimore 30, Kansas City 7
I don't know why I bought into Kansas City. Too young. They started getting down and that young team panicked. An interception. A couple of fumbles lost. Next thing you know you're getting blown out. Todd Haley and his staff coached scared and their team played as such.

For the Ravens, it's clear they go as far as Joe Flacco wants to take them. His first bad game may be the team's last for this year.

Green Bay 21, Philadelphia 16
You can spout all the MVP all you want, but Michael Vick can be handled. A quick, athletic Green Bay defense showed that yesterday. It's a lot harder to beat Tom Brady, Manning, Aaron Rodgers and the marquee quarterbacks still in the tournament. Vick stunk and it sunk the Eagles as did a defense that got pounded again and again with that offensive line and those beasts at running back. That James Starks has something and I can't imagine there being many linebackers really looking forward to tackling that guy the rest of the way.

Suddenly, Green Bay looks salty. That defense is keeping opponents out of the end zone. Aaron Rodgers is for real. That run game looks stout. What's not to like?