Wednesday 16 February 2011

Omar Beltre's back and Scooter Feldman's knee

A hell of a backbone

Texas Rangers pitching prospect Omar Beltre has spinal stenosis -- a genetic narrowing of the spine -- and he'll have surgery. Since no one in baseball has had the disorder (to anyone's knowledge) they have no idea how long he'll be out.

Rehab is set for six to eight weeks.

This is a huge bummer for the team and, frankly, for me personally. I love this kid. And I had huge expectations for him this season and for the next 10.

I think he's a big hoss of a pitcher with a good head for pitching and a big arm to back it up. I think he showed a lot in his brief time in Arlington last year and I looked forward to his presence in Round Rock and, probably, Arlington in 2011.

I feel sick for Beltre. This. Last season he tore up his ankle. Before that he had Tommy John surgery. He also was caught up in the infamous visa situation trying to get off the islands.

Hopefully it all works out.

Furthermore, the Rangers will be without Scott Feldman until June or so. He's still recuperating from microfracture surgery on his right knee in November. Other than being Jewish, it's just another thing he has in common with Amare Stoudemire.