Sunday 6 February 2011

Super Bowl update, gameday edition

Look at lil' DFW. Shows up on gameday with 45-degree temperatures and sunny skies. Good for us.

It's the day of the game, a mere hour-and-a-half until those guys go out and play the game of their lives.

I'm sticking to what I did in the conference championships. I'm going with my heart.

Pittsburgh 24, Green Bay 20

When I learned the Packers and Steelers would play in the Super Bowl, my initial gut reaction was that Ben Roethlisberger was going to win Super Bowl No. 3, Mike Tomlin will win ring No. 2 and the Steelers will solidify themselves as the greatest NFL franchise in history.

When I go with my heart and ignore all the talk and press swirling around me, I always find I do pretty well.

Pittsburgh is just too much. They're the only team I know where the whole starting offensive line could get food poisoning at a Jack in the Box and miss the game, and I would still pick them. Whatever they do, whatever Tomlin does to motivate them, it works. It just does. Why fight it? I'm going with it.

Another good point made to solidify my pick was someone mentioning how the Steelers aren't necessarily a run-first, low-scoring, stout defense team. Mike Wallace and Antonio Brown can spread the field. Hines Ward is as reliable as Big Ben (the clock ... not the cock). Heath Miller is probably a top five tight end in the game. Rashard Mendenhall's contributions are just icing on the cake.

I do, however, feel it's going to be a really good game. I'm actually kind of pumped about it.