Thursday 24 February 2011

Trade deadline creeps, Dallas Mavericks can't make a trade

Why can't we get Carmelo Anthony?
I had a friend tell me all morning about all the "deals" the "Dallas Mavericks" were allegedly on the brink of making and I wondered, "So, is Donnie Nelson the worst general manager in the NBA?"

The trade deadline came and went today and the Dallas Mavericks stayed put. I guess Roddy Beaubois coming back from injury and trading for Peja Stojakovic is enough for them.

Of course, the Mavericks weren't alone. The Los Angeles Lakers and San Antonio Spurs stayed put. The Denver Nuggets and Utah Jazz got worse.

The Memphis Grizzlies added a handy Shane Battier. Oklahoma City added Kendrick Perkins an subtracted Jeff Green. The Portland Trailblazers added Gerald Wallace to the Nicolas Batum All-Stars.

I don't know if I feel any better or worse about the Mavericks. I think they're significantly worse than the Lakers and Spurs.

My problem is with all the bullshit missed opportunities and rumors.

When was the last time the Mavericks signed a marquee free agent? When you think about that, think about how bad that sucks.

When's the last time the Mavericks were on a receiving end of a blockbuster trade? Have the Mavericks ever made a trade on the level of Carmelo Anthony or Deron Williams?

Why does it always feel the Mavericks are never truly in the conversations for these type of players? However, the New York Knicks, Chicago Bulls or Lakers are ALWAYS involved?

I think we're all happy with our 50 wins. Our playoff appearances. Our future Hall of Famer.

Blah. I love this team, but they suck and they will suck until Nelson is fired an accountable, smart general manager is inserted to overrule Mark Cuban, who I feel has a lot more input than is needed or desired.