Thursday 10 February 2011

When did Blaine Gibbert get so sexy?

Hey Gabbert Gabbert
I've paid attention to Blaine Gabbert's entire college career. I've seen him play.

At no point did I think, "Hmm. I bet he's a top 10 draft pick and a definite NFL prospect."

Never, ever. In fact, even from pundits, I didn't hear that it was Jake Locker, Andrew Luck, Cam Newton and Gabbert.

Now, Gabbert's the hottest quarterback prospect in the 2011 NFL Draft. Most mocks have him in the top 10. In some mocks, he's a top three pick.

Crap.

This after Gabbert was pretty ordinary during the 2010 season. He had 16 touchdowns and nine interception running Gary Pinkel's throw-first-ask-question-later spread offense in 2010 in a 10-win year. Most spread quarterbacks are discounted. Look at every Texas Tech quarterback and even former Mizzou quarterback Chase Daniel.

Gabbert apparently has all the tools. Accuracy, footwork, mechanics, pocket awareness, vision and all that jazz.

More than anything, I think Gabbert's stock is rising due to a shift to big quarterbacks in the NFL. Gabbert's 6-5 and 230. I think teams will look at a quarterback and then suddenly look at the size. Gabbert has it. Along with all the other apparent quirks.