Monday 28 March 2011

The AL Central


Predicting the 2011 MLB season. Without a net. Past embarrassments: NL West, NL Central, NL East and AL East.

Minnesota Twins -- 97-65
Pitchers that throw strikes. Hitters that put the wood on the ball. An MVP candidate. How is Justin Morneau's head? Seems like that concussion lingered. Did you realize Jim Thome was so close (11) to 600 home runs? I think they feast on Indians, Royals and Tigers.

Chicago White Sox -- 85-77
I think the Pale Hose need a number of things: Jake Peavy for 30 starts, a duplicate year from Alex Rios, consistentcy from Carlos Quentin and a solid bullpen. I'm not willing to bet all that will happen. Getting Adam Dunn could help give Paul Konerko a 40-homer year.

Detroit Tigers -- 80-82
I don't know if they're any good. I think they're better than Cleveland, and not as good as Chicago. So, I stick them here. I don't know what to think of that old line-up. It's old. Victor Martinez provides a little pop. Jack Benoit in the bullpen will help, especially when Joel Zumaya blows out his arm.

Cleveland Indians -- 72-90
Finished 2010 on a high note, going 7-3 in final 10. The Tribe might be too dumb to realize how bad they're supposed to be. Extremely young team that can only get better with time.

Kansas City Royals -- 66-96
I want the best for the Royals. They are extremely young. They might be a team looking to prove something without Zack Greinke. Their cornerstone -- Billy Butler -- is in his mid-20s and one of the best pure hitters in the league. I might wind up wrong on them.