Tuesday 8 March 2011

Surviving

Feel the Love
Question: Do the Dallas Mavericks actually look like a championship-caliber NBA team?

If your answer is still "yes" then you are an idiot.

Sorry. I love the Dallas Mavericks too. I want them to succeed. I also want them to evolve. I want those 50 wins per season to be really good 50 wins. Not three-point wins against Minnesota.

I think the Mavericks have a lot of improvement to do on the court and on the roster despite their record.

It's impossible to explain. How do you ridicule a top-three Western Conference team that will eclipse 50 wins (again) and typically shoots 45-50 percent a night, doesn't allow insane shooting nights from opponents, rebounds well and generally isn't bad.

I think part of it is age. Part is the utter mishandling of the draft, free agency, trades and the roster in general. The other third is that the Mavericks aren't going to win a title. They just aren't. Not going to happen. With or without Caron Butler.

This will all make sense in the playoffs. When the season is on the line and you need a basket and you settle for a 17-foot fadeaway. Or you need a big stop and the opponent gets a basket.

The Mavs beat bad teams, do well against good teams. However, it's just wins. It's just inertia. It's depending on a hot shooting night from Jason Terry or Dirk Nowitzki carrying you.

If you can tell me how last night's 108-105 win was inspiring, let me know. I was impressed with two guys. Dirk Nowitzki, one. Kevin Love, the other.

That's it. No one from the Mavericks has looked good. Frankly, for the last several months, you get nights from Terry, Dirk and Tyson Chandler. This is not a team built to win a championship. Something the 50 wins disguises and camouflages.