Monday 21 March 2011

Spring Training 8.0: Questions and more questions

Cruz
Spring Training for our Texas Rangers rolls on and after taking a week's sabbatical, I find I have more questions now than I did 10 days ago.

I don't know if this is a good or a bad thing. Questions typically mirror uncertainty. Questions also open doors for opportunity.

I'm confused.

My questions:

1. What do you do with Chris Davis? He's hitting .405 and leading the team in RBI (15). Adrian Beltre and Mitch Moreland push him out of the infield. Mike Young's the DH. Is he tradeable? Surely, you don't give him away? Can he fetch some pitching help? This is why you never give up on a young player. You never know when he'll "get it."

2. Is Neftali Feliz a starter or reliever? I leave town with the story that he prefers to be a reliever. Then everyone realizes that they don't have a proven closer (!!!) and then the story is that Feliz's wishes might not fit the Rangers' needs. He went five innings over the weekend. Seems like he's getting nice and stretched out.

3. Do Mark Lowe's and Darren O'Day's springs scare the shit out of me? Yes. Especially Lowe, who's as unproven as they come.

4. Is Julio Borbon's time up with the Rangers? You'd think he was going to be executed at sundown on Wednesday, the way people are talking. He's struggled in centerfield. Frankly, he's not that great of a hitter (altough I love what he can do) to be an ordinary fielder. With those wheels, he needed to nail down center and he hasn't. Ron Washington isn't hot on him. He makes mistakes. And now everyone's talking themselves into the "Well, Josh Hamilton will get hurt no matter where he plays" discusssion. Which is dumb. The physical toll center takes as opposed to left or right field is not a discussion.

5. Is Mitch Moreland for real? Since he was drafted, all he has done is hit. Hit and hit. Nothing spectacular. Just hitting. I wonder if he has that extra gear turning him into a doubles hitter into a guy that can hit 25 home runs a year. I wonder if I sports crush on Moreland.

6. Is Brett Tomko making this team? Is he this team's No. 5 starter?

7. Do I love a rotation of C.J. Wilson, Colby Lewis, Derek Holland, Neftali Feliz and Matt Harrison? Not entirely. But I can be wooed.